If you are thinking about the most cost-effective building solution, it is important to consider all possible structures. Keeping in mind your initial investment versus long-term savings is a crucial part of the process. Picking the incorrect type of structure for your specific project can lead to excessive costs.
In this article, we will dive deeper into what a steel structure is along with what the different types of steel structures are.
What is a Steel Structure?
A steel structure is a metal structure made of structural steel components. Structural steel is a steel construction material which is fabricated with a specific shape and chemical composition to suit a project’s appropriate specifications. These components connect with each other to carry loads and provide full rigidity. Due to the high strength grade of steel, this structure is reliable and requires less raw materials than other types of structures. Some examples of other structures include concrete and timber structures.
In modern construction, steel structures are used for almost every type of structure including heavy industrial piping, high-rise buildings, equipment support systems, infrastructure, bridges, towers, airport terminals, and many more!
One important note to include is that each project has different specifications. This means that steel sections might have various shapes, sizes, and dimensions, depending upon the project specifications.
Main Steel Structures
Some main steel structural types are listed below, however, keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list.
- Frame Structures: Beams and columns
- Grid Structures: Latticed structure or dome
- Pre-stressed Structures
- Truss Structures: Bar or truss members
- Arch Structures
- Arch Bridges
- Beam Bridges
- Cable-stayed Bridges
- Suspension Bridges
- Truss Bridges: Truss members
Benefits of Steel Structures
Now that we have covered what some of the main steel structures are, let’s list some of the benefits for steel structures.
- Cost Savings: Steel structures are the cost leader for most projects in materials and design. It is inexpensive to manufacture and erect, which therefore, requires less maintenance than other traditional building methods.
- Creativity: Steel has great aesthetics which are benefits from a design perspective. Steel allows for long column-free spans and you can have a lot of natural light if you want it in any shape of structures.
- Control and Management: Steel structures are fabricated at factories and rapidly erected at construction sites by skilled personnel. This makes for a safe construction process. Industry surveys consistently demonstrate that steel structures are the optimal solution in management.
- Durability: Steel structures can withstand extreme forces or harsh weather conditions. These harsh conditions include strong winds, earthquakes, hurricanes, and heavy snow. Steel structures are also less likely to rust and are remain unaffected by many external factors.
Now that we have defined what a steel structure is, the different types of steel structures, and listed the benefits of using these steel structures, one can see its applications. It is important to consult with a structural engineer when deciding when to use a steel structure design, because every project will have different needs and requirements.
Are you considering the inclusion of a steel structure in your project? Are you unsure whether your needs can be met by the implementation of one of the types of steel structures? If so, then get in touch with Sabio Engineering Services! Our professional structural engineers are trained to assist with steel structural designs and can help get your project off the ground!Contact us at (929) 381-0030 or visit our website.